Adapted from a 14-page history written for the 2003 Alumni Directory
1905—Asheboro High School graduated its first class of three graduates.
1908—New ten-room building built. Housed a small library, office, 10-12 classes, and an auditorium that seated 500. Taught grades 1-9.
1920’s—Twelve classrooms, a new auditorium, and a gymnasium was added. Now taught grades 1-10. Also a member of Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
1930’s—Another wing was added on and a building for fifth grade was constructed.
1950—AHS as is now stands on Park Street was opened for grades 9-12. It was first thought to be too far on the outskirts of town and too remote.
1955—The first class to graduate from the new auditorium constructed along with a gymnasium.
1970—A two-story structure that housed a new library and several classrooms opened.
1992—AHS became one of the first high schools to implement block scheduling, soon to be a model for high schools throughout North Carolina.
1993—More renovations connecting the front and rear entrances, a commons area in the central part of the building, modernized and additional science labs, remodeled cafeteria and dining areas, six new classrooms and a new library took place.
1990’s—Renovations to the auditorium which is now the Asheboro High School Performing Arts Center took place.
2003—The old Sir Robert Motel was purchased and renovated into 10 new classrooms, and a Professional Development Center. One hundred new parking spaces were also put into use and the building was given the name of Comet Corner.
2006—In an effort to make freshmen students feel more at ease about the transition from middle school to high school the Blue Comet Academy was developed.
2007—Asheboro High School and the North Carolina Zoo team together to bring about a school environment located at the zoo. Students will work in hands-on situations to make their learning more realistic.