ACS and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Asheboro City Schools continues to work with local public health officials during the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic. We are developing our re-entry plans for the 2020-2021 school year to ensure the safety of our students and staff. We will update the following pages throughout the summer as our plans become more definitive. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an IEP?
The IEP, or Individualized Education Program, describes the unique needs of the student due to the disability, the services and supports that the student needs, and how the school district is going to address those needs. The IEP is a comprehensive, legal document developed by the IEP team, including the parent. 

Why does my child need a re-evaluation every three years?
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires schools to reevaluate kids with IEPs at least once every three years. This is known as a triennial reevaluation or review. The purpose of the triennial is to see if your child’s needs have changed. It’s also to see if your child still qualifies for special education services. Parents and schools may agree not to do a triennial reevaluation, but they must do so in writing. For example, after reviewing your child’s records and progress, the IEP team might decide there’s already enough data to support continued services and set goals. In that case, a reevaluation may not be needed. Keep in mind, though, that three years is a long time. Even if it’s clear your child is still eligible for services, his/her needs and abilities may have changed. A reevaluation can give the IEP team more information about what to include in his IEP.

What is the difference between an IEP and a 504?
IEPs are developed for students who require specialized instruction. 504 plans are for students who have accessibility requirements but do not require specialized instruction and do not qualify for special education programs under IDEA.

Who can help me to better understand my child's IEP?
You can reach out to the EC case manager at your child’s school or contact the EC Program Specialist for your school (add link to contact list).

I disagree with my child's IEP. What should I do?
You can request a review of your child's IEP at any time. Submit your request to the child's school, in writing.
If after reconvening you still haven't reached an agreement, follow the recommendations outlined in the Dispute Resolution section or follow guidance in the Parent Rights and Responsibilities in Special Education - Notice of Procedural Safeguards.

Who do I contact with my concerns?
School Level:
Discuss concerns with student's classroom teacher(s) 
Discuss concerns with the student’s Exceptional Children’s Teacher and or related service provider(s)
Discuss concerns with student's principal 
Request an IEP team meeting

District Level:
Contact the EC Program Specialist assigned to your student’s home school
Contact the Lead EC Program Specialist for the district or
Contact the Director of Exceptional Children’s Services at 336-625-5104 ext. 244100

State Level:
Contact the Exceptional Children Division's consultants for dispute resolution and consultants for instructional support and related services.  For more information on Dispute Resolution and governing policies, click here, to be taken to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction's webpage.

Parent Rights & Responsibilities in Special Education: NC Notice of Procedural Safeguards
Procedural Safeguards:
Procedural Safeguards: Spanish Handbook (link) 
© 2020 Asheboro City Schools. All Rights Reserved.