Academically and/or intellectually gifted students perform or show the potential to perform at substantially high levels of accomplishment when compared with others of their age, experience or environment. Academically and/or intellectually gifted students exhibit high-performance capability in intellectual areas, specific academic fields or in both intellectual areas and specific academic fields. Academically and/or intellectually gifted students require differentiated education services beyond those ordinarily provided by the regular education program. Outstanding abilities are present in students from all cultural groups, across all economic strata and in all areas of human endeavor.
We are committed to providing quality learning opportunities for all students. We acknowledge our responsibility to discover, nurture and develop the potential of each student.
- Gifted students have exceptional abilities, talents, and strengths
- Gifted students come from diverse families and cultures
- Gifted students have unique cognitive and affective needs which may require differentiated programs and services
- Our responsibility is to provide an array of services that maximize the potential of each of these students
- These services should be provided by well qualified, knowledgeable staff
- Continuous communication and collaboration among teachers, parents, administrators and community members are essential to meet the needs of all students
- Utilize multiple criteria to appropriately identify academically and intellectually gifted students who may require differentiated learning opportunities
- Offer a continuum of services designed to enhance and to nurture all students and to provide opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate gifted behaviors and become confident, productive members of society
- Improve communication among Asheboro City Schools gifted education program, the home,and school communities in order to strengthen a positive vision of its purposes and goals
- Continue a comprehensive and ongoing staff development program for classroom teachers, administrators, counselors and specialists in order to better provide differentiated learning for gifted students
- Integrate gifted education into the school environment through collaboration among all educators, parents and community members
- Implement evaluation strategies to assess and document the impact of the program for gifted, advanced and talented students through a variety of formal and informal measures